Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Miscellaneous Food: The Kensington Crêperie

It’s been quite a while since I’ve had a really good crêpe. Somehow they always seem too thick and heavy, and if you’re thinking of having them for tea, chances are you’ll need to have a very light lunch and dinner, which is something I’m not very good at doing.


London 013


But someone told me someone told him that this little crêperie near the South Kengsington tube station serves the best crêpes in London. Well, with an accolade like that, there was no way I was not giving it a try, lunch and dinner be damned.

Since the crêperie doesn’t open till 11am, I decided to have brunch, and was pleased to see that they offered a choice of white, milk or dark chocolate on all their chocolate crêpes.


London 019


I decided to go for their banana and dark chocolate crêpe, even though I was sorely tempted by the option to include some rum. The crêpe arrived decently sized, so you probably will need to have a light lunch and dinner, and I could see at once that it was going to be, to my pleasure, very chocolatey.

The staff’s crêpe-making skills are considerable – the crêpe was easily one of the best I’ve had. From the point of the wedge to about midway, the crêpe was moist and dense with chocolate, and the addition of sweet, unctuously luscious banana slices merely added to the mouthful of delight. The generous frosting of icing sugar and squiggles of chocolate sauce didn’t hurt, either. The hallmark of a good crêpe is the duality of its texture and uniformity of its thinness, and true to form the crêpe was crispy towards the edges but remained wafery-delicate.

They also do savoury crêpes, but I’ve never really been a fan of those, so I won’t be trying them anytime soon.

The Kensington Crêperie (Casual)
2 Exhibition Road, South Kensington, SW7
Tel: 020 7589 8947

Location: 4/5
Ambience: 3/5
Service: N/A
Food: 4.5/5
Overall: Excellent place for breakfast or tea


No comments: