Monday, May 02, 2005

Recipe: Fudge

Ingredients
450g dark chocolate
400g condensed milk
50g butter

Made fudge on Friday with May, who had finished her exams and was in a fudge-making mood. I had misplaced my camera, so all photos you see in this post were taken by her.

Fudge 1


One of the few "artistic" shots May decided to take. The jellyfish thing is condensed milk dripping out of a measuring cup, into a bowl of chocolate and some butter. I used some chopped up Cadbury's Old Dark Gold Chocolate, but I didn't have enough, so I had to top up the rest with couveture (55% cocoa) bought from Phoon Huat. Since the fudge is kind of rough and ready, you don't really need very high quality chocolate, but using too much low-end stuff will give you a sore throat. You have been warned.

Fudge 2


Fudge ingredients sitting over a saucepan of simmering water. If you're one of those people who can't melt chocolate without completely arsing it up, this recipe is quite forgiving of chocolate-mistreatment. Make sure your butter is at room temperature: if it's fridge-cold the chocolate will seize.

Fudge 3


After the chocolate was nice and melted and gloppy, it was time to pour it out into the mould. Use any old container - but I find square ones easiest to work with. You can see I've lined it with some sandwich wrappers. I never eat sandwiches anyway, and it prevents the fudge from sticking to the container.

Fudge 4


After letting it chill in the refrigerator a few hours (about 2.5 - 3 hours) you're all ready to chop it up into bite-sized pieces.

Fudge 5


May brought back two out of three boxes. I told her she was going to get chunky thighs, but she didn't seem too concerned.

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments: