Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Recipe: Lemon Rhubarb Cake


I'm not going to moan on about work again, I promise, but what does it say that as the early days of winter darken, I am *finally* posting the last of the rhubarb series, which I made into a lemon rhubarb cake.




After looking out for it this year, I realized that one can find rhubarb in Singapore after all, it is sometimes available at Cold Storage and Jason's, however, it is not fresh, turgid and thick like in England but a rather sad, scrawny version.



I just used a simple lemon Cake Recipe, from the Barefoot Contessa Ina Garton's Party Ideas and added the chunks of rhubarb to the batter before baking. I also like to replace 1/2 a cup of flour with ground almonds (or hazlenut/almond mix, leftover from macaron baking) and I added another contraband, poppy seeds.

226.8g unsalted butter (room temp)
2 1/2 C granulated sugar
4 extra-large eggs (room temp)
1/3 C grated lemon zest (6-8 lemons)
3 C all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp kosher salt
3/4 C lemon juice
3/4 C buttermilk, room temp
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C)
2. Cream butter and 2 C sugar, add eggs
3. Add lemon zest
4. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
5. Combine 1/4 cup lemon juice, buttermilk, and vanilla.
6. Alternate flour and buttermilk, begin and end with flour
7. Bake 1.5 hour
8. Pook holes all over cake. Cook remaining sugar with lemon juice and pour over if desired, if not, sprinkle lemon juice over cake while it is baking.


Tha family ate this one up and I really savoured the mixture of the citrus kick with the slight vegetal bitterness of the rhubarb. Till next year, my beauties!

No comments: