Friday, September 12, 2008

Review: Jones the Grocer


There are differing reviews of this place but what amuses me is that no matter how poor people have found the food or the service, this place is packed out every weekend! They are clearly wanting for neither diners nor customers, as the Singapore Australian connection flocks here for their wines, cheeses and family gatherings. I met three of my Aussie friends while sitting here for an hour (that being said, I met even more Singaporean friends in that same hour).


I was here a couple of weeks ago for tea and we had the avocado and salmon tarts, wagyu beef tartare and parma ham with truffle honey. It was all passable, the aesthetics were lovely and generally, I'm not a naysayer of this place. It's not my favourite place for lunch but it is a good place for coffee.


It's the grocery equivalent of Cova in Paragon (used to be Marmalade Pantry) or the Mandarin coffeehouse in the days of yore. I guess people come here and to Dempsey Hill generally to soak in the atmosphere of what'd it be like to live in a first-world food country. And for whatever they don't have, there's Culina next door, or L'Organic down the street.


Their produce is expensive to my mind and largely processed/packed foods (except their cheese and meats section). There are two things that I like here though. One is the white truffle honey, that is quite a revelation and will enable you to make your own truffle hams, fries and mashes. The other is the fresh fruit juice pictured here. No preservatives and no added sugar, just a crystal clear apple or beet or wheatgrass juice. It's meltingly good and ridiculously expensive. So bad that they sell them as shots at the "juice bar".

Jones the Grocer
Blk 9 #01–12, Dempsey Road
Operational Hours:
Mon 9:30am - 6:00pm
Tue - Fri 9:30am - 11:00pm
Sat - Sun 9:00am - 11:00pm
Tel: (65) 6476 1512
URL: www.jonesthegrocer.com

No comments: