Sunday, February 09, 2014

Recipe: Strawberry Victoria Sponge Cake



Strawberry cake is something simple that I really enjoy, I guess I have fond childhood memories of good strawberry shortcake. We are particularly lucky in Asia, soft Japanese sponge, light chantilly cream and sweet Japanese strawberries. This is definitely one dessert that I have spent too many calories on! 



We had a friend request a Victorian sponge for her birthday- something simple but pretty rare! I remember making Victorian sponge when I first started baking and honestly, I'm not sure why I stopped, it is such a great cake, slightly firmer than a full chiffon sponge, but light and fluffy. At her request, the layers were brushed with a strawberry compote and then layered with a strawberry-raspberry cream before it was piped with a smooth, white cream, which you can appreciate when it was sliced open.



Recipe:

225g butter
225g sugar
4 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
225g self-raising flour
1 tbs milk
1/2 tsp salt

Bake at 180C for 30-40 mins until light and risen. The secret to a wonderful cake is to adequately cream the butter and sugar and also to use the best ingredients possible, a Madagascan vanilla essence or even a vanilla pod. 



In case you were wondering, this is what we made with the other half of the layered cake, a raspberry buttercream, rainbow sprinkle cake. Not bad for a Saturday morning's bake!

No comments: